Remodeled aquatic center unveiled

John Davidson | The Chart

Director of Aquatics & Wellness and the Recreation Center Heather Arnold (left) stands with student workers Jazmyne Hayes, Ryan Lacey, Denton Thomas and Sara Greenough as they cut the ceremonial ribbon unveiling the newly renovated aquatic center. 

A revamped Aquatics Center was unveiled on Thursday afternoon at Missouri Southern. Student lifeguards were giving tours of the renovated complex for visitors who made their way to the event; followed by a ribbon cutting ceremony.

“We just really wanted to showcase some of the updates we’ve done to our facility over the last few months,” said Heather Arnold, director of fitness & aquatics.

Most of the changes to the venue were aesthetic, including re-painting the walls in the pool area and locker rooms, as well as adding updated signage. Previously, the walls in the pool area were painted a light blue; now they are Southern green and gold with logos and all.

“We really wanted to touch it up and give it a little sense of Missouri Southern here,” said Arnold. “We want to get the word out there that there is a lot we have to offer.”

The swim equipment available for use was also updated.

The ceremony and tours also featured information about courses available for students and the public (with a paid membership) to take.

“We also wanted to showcase the programs we offer,” said Arnold. “Everything from water aerobics, to swim lessons, to lifeguarding classes that are available to not only our students and employees, but also community members.”

For the swim lessons, prospective lesson-takers are grouped into three different age groups: ages six months to five years, ages six to 14 and 15 and up.

Students and members of the community can also take a lifeguard certification course at the aquatics center. The course consists of online and classroom instruction, skills tests and written exams.

At the end of the ceremony, four student lifeguards who had been helping with tours cut the ribbon to officially open the center.

For more information on what the aquatics center has to offer, go to their website at www.mssu.edu/aquatics or visit the Recreational Services office in Billingsly Student Center room 241.