Senate axes funding limits

Precedents come and go on the Student Senate finance committee.

To this point, the finance committee wanted to hold to a $100 per student allocation for organizations requesting funding.

“At this point, the finance committee feels the $100 principle is no longer needed because we have enough money to take care of any club or organization,” said Andrew McGowan, treasurer.

The question was raised about the English honor society, Sigma Tau Delta, traveling to Cincinnati, Ohio, during spring break. Six students will be traveling on the trip.

McGowan said he thought the club needed the money to go on the trip.

“It’s a big honor for them to go,” he said.

Two students, Ross Gipson and David Mink, senior English majors, will present original pieces at the conference.

“Any member of Sigma Tau Delta is eligible to enter,” Gipson said. “It’s a great opportunity, out of hundreds and hundreds of submissions, they choose mine.”

The total cost of the trip is $2,580. STD had $1,000 in its treasury, raised $500 last semester and plan to have another fund-raiser this semester.

The Senate voted and allocated $1,000 to the club.

Casey Highland, senior senator, is chairman of a committee to organize and name an award to recognize a senator for outstanding leadership.

“The award would be handed out at the spring picnic,” Highland said.

“It’s for a senator who goes above and beyond the call of duty.”

The Senate will be traveling Tuesday and Wednesday to Jefferson City to visit the Capitol and state prison.

Trent Dobrauc, senior senator, is chairman for the liquor committee.

“We’re going to write a blanket resolution,” said Jacob Brower, co-chair. “We will not focus specifically on alcohol. What it will say is that any on-campus rule that any student is expected to abide by, any visitor, faculty member, staff member or administration must also adhere too.”

The committee is looking into Missouri Southern’s policy for alcohol on campus during social functions.

“It’s our opinion that if students are expected to do something, it should apply to everyone,” Brower said. “We do pay tuition, now more than we ever have, and we just feel this is the right thing to do at this time.”