Faculty member begins new role as Dean

Julie Wengert has been named the new Dean of Student Success and Support at Missouri Southern.

Wengert received a bachelor’s in early childhood education from MSSU and now has a master’s in athletics administration. She is also currently pursuing a doctorate in leadership in higher education administration.

“Being a student now is helpful to me because I’m experiencing what students experience which gives me a unique perspective about what students are going through, especially with regard to our non-traditional students juggling a family, a career, and school.”

Wengert has served at MSSU for the past 15 years, first as a part-time tennis coach, then as the Compliance Coordinator, then as the Associate Athletic Director, and up until December, Director of Academic Outreach.

These degrees and roles at Southern may seem varied, but Wengert says, “The common theme is education. What I like most is that I’ve been able to stay at MSSU. I love that I’ve been able to pursue a variety of opportunities here.”

“I very well could’ve been a kindergarten teacher if I hadn’t taken the risk to pursue a part-time position in college athletics. Taking a leap and following your passion can pay off in the end.”

The Dean of Student Success and Support is a new administrative position created to be responsible for New Student Orientation, First-Year Experience, Career Services, the Student Success Center, Disability Services, and Advising, Counseling, and Testing.

The dean will coordinate university efforts to promote student success, retention and degree completion. Wengert will work with all administrative areas of the university to develop collaborative efforts to accomplish these goals for the various student populations at MSSU.