Campus Calendar

The American Red Cross will be on campus from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. May 3 in front of Billingsly Student Center.

A recognition gift will be given to all donors.

On Friday two honors students will be presenting their senior honor thesis. At 2 p.m. in Webster Hall, Room 112, Philip Cross, senior mass communication, will be presenting his research project, “Detecting Deception.”

The project will examine how persons detect interpersonal deception. Research will be presented from leaders in the field of nonverbal communication as well as original experimental and survey data.

At 3 p.m. in Matthews Hall, Room 109 Jamie Davis, senior Spanish/international business major, will present her thesis, “Methods of Acquiring a Second Language for Business Purposes.”

The project is about how a need for a second language is becoming increasingly important in the area. Those involved in business-related jobs most often face the need as the non-English speaking population grows and seeks jobs.

The question becomes, “What is the best way we acquire a second language for business purposes?” Many language acquiring methods will be explored as well as the need for specific business vocabulary courses in Spanish. For the purpose of this research Spanish will be used as the language in question because of the growing population in the area.

The department of music has set dates for several upcoming concerts and events. At 3 p.m. Sunday at the First Community Church the Choral Society will be performing.

At 7:30 p.m. Monday in Webster auditorium, Jeremy Kushner, director of percussion studies, will be presenting a faculty percussion recital. At 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Taylor Auditorium the Missouri Southern Choir will be holding its Spring Choir Concert. At 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Phinney Recital Hall the Choral Society will be performing. At 1:30 p.m. May 8 in Webster auditorium the Suzuki Violin Academy will be holding a concert.

The Campus Activities Board is sponsoring an all-campus picnic from 10:45 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Friday on the oval. The picnic is free to students with ID. There will be free picture keychains, candles and airbrush tattoos, along with the free food.

On Wednesday, CAB will be hosting Finals Madness from 8 p.m.-1 a.m. at the residence halls tennis courts. The event is free to all students.

There will be free T-shirts, music, food, games and prizes. Some events at Finals Madness will include a Trampoline Thing, Crazy Climb, Human Foosball, Giant Twister and a Velcro Wall.

Then on Thursday, the Board will be hosting a Friends final episode party at 7 p.m. in the University Java coffee shop on the first floor of Spiva Library. Free coffee and cookies will be provided.

The Baptist Student Union is hosting a free barbecue for graduating seniors in the area. The lunch will be from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. May 8 at the BSU.

The lunch is open to high school juniors, seniors, current college students and youth ministers. The graduating high school seniors will be receiving a free gift. For information contact Phil Gloyer, BSU director, at 624-0925 or via e-mail at [email protected].

Commencement exercises will be held May 15. There will be two ceremonies, one at 9 a.m. for the schools of business and education and one at noon for the schools of art and sciences and technology.

The faculty in the schools of business and education are asked to report to Young Gymnasium by 9:00 a.m. and be robed and ready to process by 9:15 a.m. The faculty attending the schools of art and sciences and technology are asked to report to Young Gymnasium by 11:30 a.m. and be robed and ready to process by 11:45 a.m.

Faculty may attend both exercises but are expected to attend one if they were not present at the December 2003 commencement ceremony. Faculty members unable to attend commencement must send a memo to the vice president for academic affairs requesting to be excused.

Following each ceremony, those renting academic regalia are asked to return it in its original plastic wrapper if possible to the concession booth in the lobby.