Group plans photo hunt for scavengers

As the semester draws closer to a close, Missouri Southern’s Campus Activities Board reconvened for another meeting.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, announced the top five candidates for next year’s lectures. They are: WNBA star Sheryl Swoops, filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, Dr. Ruth, Herman Boone, (who’s story inspired the Disney movie Remember the Titans) or a debate on gay marriage.

A deciding vote will take place soon, most likely during elections for student office elections next Monday and Tuesday in the student activities office. The top two choices will be considered for next year’s speaker.

“We had a lot [of choices], but they were all out of our price range,” Blackford said. “Some people complain, ‘you don’t bring who we want.’ Well, we want them to come to our CAB meetings. Hopefully this will get us more of a student voice.”

Students with other suggestions are invited to bring them to next week’s CAB meeting. All ideas will be considered, however, price is always a factor.

CAB is also planning a skate-night for 8 p.m. on April 28 at Silver Wheels. The event is free to students and will run until midnight.

For the upcoming semester, the Russian band Bering Straight, is being considered to come to the University with CAB as a sponsor. CAB decided it will not sponsor the event, but will purchase tickets for students in the event the concert will be held. No final decisions have been made.

A photo scavenger hunt takes place beginning at noon on April 27. Students will pick up a camera and a list and have two days to get as far as they can. Each team must consist of at least two people. Each photo will have a different point value. The most points or first entries will be the winners. Prizes have not been announced.

“We’ll probably have three places,” said Derick White, senior secondary education major.

Students are invited to attend the weekly meetings at 2 p.m. Wednesdays in the student activities office on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center.