Campus Calendar

The Missouri Southern Speech and Debate Squad took part in the Truman State University Speech and Debate tournament March 26-28. A total of 29 debaters from 14 schools representing nine states took part in the competition.

On March 28, Wes Carrillo, junior political science major, and Jeremy Hollingshead, senior marketing major, qualified for elimination quarterfinals rounds. Carrillo lost in the quarterfinal. Hollingshead went to the final round where he lost a 2-1 decision. TSU serves as the warm-up tournament for the National Forensic League Collegiate National Championships in April.

The speech and debate squad next heads to Western Illinois University, April 14-19 looking to improve its second place team performance at last year’s national championships. Hollingshead, who won a national championship in Lincoln-Douglas Debate last year, hopes to repeat his performance this year.

The 15th annual Helen S. Boylan Lecture has been set for 7 p.m. Tuesday in Webster Hall auditorium. The speaker is Terrill Petri, the founder of Women Vision International. Petri has dedicated almost two decades to improving the lives of people living in poverty.

Petri encountered poverty on a regular basis when she worked for a child sponsorship organization as a writer and traveled throughout the world, interviewing families and researching programs that had the greatest impact on the lives of the poor. Later, when she formed her own marketing company, her clients included the Christian Foundation for Children and Aging, a child sponsorship organization that works with economically deprived communities in 20 countries.

As a result of experiences, Petri began to visualize an international network of women helping women. In 1993, her dream became reality as Women Vision International was born. She now serves as CEO of the non-profit organization and contributes to its many teams.

While at Missouri Southern, Petri will be available to meet with classes to visit informally with students. The Helen S. Boylan Foundation and the Social Science Department sponsor the Boylan Lecture.

Television viewers in Carl Junction, Duquesne, Diamond and 16 other regional communities will be able to see programming from Mediacom cable programming from KGCS for the first time starting this month.

The additional coverage brings KGCS into McDonald County for the first time. Mediacom customers will be able to see the station on cable Channel 77. KGCS carries the America One Network programming, which includes classic western films and television programs. It also airs programming from The Sportsman Channel, featuring hunting and fishing shows. The station has been the local affiliate for the St. Louis Cardinals since 1988.

KGCS operates as a service of the department of communication and foreign languages.

College Heights Christian Church is sponsoring a community wide worship service at 10 a.m. Sunday in the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center. The service is being called “The Event.”

For information call 624-6915.

Speakers from Peace Network of the Ozarks about Project for the New American Century, a conservative think-tank will be giving a presentation sponsored by Students Peace Education Action Knowledge. The presentation will be at noon April 21 in Billingsly Student Center’s second floor lounge.

For information contact SPEAK at [email protected].

The final Brown Bag Lunch for the spring semester will be presented by Dr. Vikki Spencer, associate professor of teacher education. The presentation will be “Comparative Education and Cultures: Italy.”

The presentation will start at 12:10 p.m. April 16 in Billingsly Student Center, Room 310 and will conclude at approximately 12:50 p.m. The lunch is free to those attending the Brown Bag session.