T-shirt madness leads students to ponder ideas

After weeks of consecutive events, the Campus Activities Board settled down to its first “normal” meeting.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, was not present for the meeting. Instead, Carla Fairbanks, resident director, took her place.

“We’ll do a lot of planning [next week],” Fairbanks said. “We can’t really plan much without Julie.”

The Board discussed ideas for the upcoming semester such as pudding wrestling, karaoke and a casino night.

Members also talked about different options for handing out free T-shirts. During Homecoming week, free T-shirts were handed out at a volleyball game and the campus picnic. Both events had a crowd of T-shirt-hungry students shoving and grabbing for one.

“We’re trying to revamp how we’ll hand them out,” Fairbanks said. “It’s the best thing we do, but it’s becoming a mob.”

Ideas included punch cards or tickets that would be given away during a week’s events.

Fairbanks and members of CAB are apolo-

getic to students who were unable to get one. Students often take advantage of the free shirts and many walk away with more than one.

Upcoming events include local astronaut Janet Kavandi, performing at 10 a.m. on Oct. 21 in Webster Auditorium, ghost hunter John Zaffis at 7 p.m. in Connor Auditorium the same night and [ital] Last Comic Standing [end] contestant Tammy Pescatelli, performing at 7 p.m. on Oct. 26 in Taylor Auditorium.

Blackford said she will devote the next meeting to finalizing the fall semester’s activities and plan events for the spring.

“Right now, we’re just trying to get a breather,” she said. “We hope to have the fall semester hammered out [next week] and have spring planned by Dec. 1.”

CAB is discussing a possible string of comedians to come on a monthly basis as oppose to one large speaker that would consume a large portion of their budget. Currently CAB is looking into different comedians to come to Southern in the spring.

Anyone with concerns or ideas for CAB is invited to attend their weekly meetings at 2 p.m. on Wednesdays in the Student Activities Office on the second floor of Billingsly Student Center.