Freebies, food, fun jump-start semester

Campus Crawl started activities off for Welcome Week. Held in front of Billingsly Student Center, students received free food, music and giveaways from on campus clubs and organizations on Aug. 22.

Greg Salzer, junior sociology major and president of Hand in Hand, was one student who got a free T-shirt from the Campus Activities Board.

He took in the festivities by participating in the All Campus Picnic.

Other students were able to paint a Frisbee and climb a rock wall.

On the second day of events, mentalist and illusionist Wayne Hoffman performed at the Taylor Performing Arts Center for evening entertainment. Hoffman also performed magic tricks during the picnic.

Aug. 25 led to the Fall Forward-Local Business Fair at the Oval.

Once again, free incentives were given to students to entice them to take in the promotions and discounts offered.

Deanne Smallwood-Thomas, junior speech communication and French major, is president of the College Democrat club.

The activities were “more fun than a barrel of monkeys,” Smallwood-Thomas said. “Welcome Week should take place every week of the semester.”

Rosemarie Looney, junior sociology major said the best thing about Welcome Week was getting to see old friends.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, said Welcome Week is to welcome both old and new students to Missouri Southern, but especially to freshmen.

She said that it’s hard to get students motivated to join in activities because of work, family and transportation difficulties.

Aug. 26 hosted an All Campus Tailgate party at Hughes Stadium with the Zimmer Radio Group for entertainment.

Following the party was the season opener football game.

Southern won the game against Bacone 40-21.

Lion’s ROAR began the last day of Welcome Week by offering more free items.

Southern had more than 85 student clubs and organizations as well as political and religious groups.

“It gave everyone opportunities to find other students who share their interests,” said junior Jason Hare, Spanish major.

Survivor Night, hosted by CAB was the last activity of the week.

A foam dance party, joust, free food, music, giveaways and more prizes helped students

celebrate the spirit of Southern.