Ghosthunter spooks campus with paranormal

John Zaffis looks like a normal guy. He wears normal clothes; he has a day job and a family. But there is one thing that sets him apart from the norm – he hunts ghosts.

Zaffis made a visit to Missouri Southern Oct. 21. wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. His luggage was lost by an airline.

Zaffis had only the clothes on his back and his presentation materials.

He said he never lets his presentation leave his side.

His lecture focused on the paranormal and demonology.

Zaffis’s lecture drew in a crowd that packed Cornell Auditorium. Students filled seats, aisles and even stood along the walls for a glimpse of Zaffis’s paranormal images.

“We were blown away by the turnout,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities. “It’s a little different then things we normally bring in. We didn’t expect standing room only.”

Growing up around prominent ghost hunters Ed and Loraine Warren, Zaffis became fascinated with ghosts at an early age.

He didn’t always believe in ghosts, though.

“When I was 19 or 20, I decided I wanted to find out if this was real,” Zaffis said.

More than 30 years later, Zaffis now believes in guardian angels, curses, hauntings, poltergeists, demonic possession and spirits.

During the two-hour lecture, Zaffis presented numerous slides depicting ghosts, spirits, hauntings, poltergeists and “spirit energy.”

He also gave numerous examples of fraudulent photos and accounts.

One photo had an image said to be a ghost but it was actually a camera strap.

Other photos had small orbs, which Zaffis called “spirit energy.”

He said spirit energy is what makes the form of a ghost appear.

Some students were a little freaked out.

“I won’t lie; I feel a little uneasy,” said Nathan Hulstine, sophomore special education major. “[I’m] not as much freaked out as much as I am interested.”

“It’s something to learn more about,” said Amber Dalbey, junior education major. “It’s amazing that that kind of stuff is out there.”

A major part of Zaffis’s presentation was about a haunting in Simsbury, Conn. that occurred when a family moved into a house, which was formerly a mortuary.

The ordeal inspired the movie A Haunting in Connecticut, which Zaffis stars in. The movie will re-air on the Discovery Channel on Oct. 30.

Following the performance, Zaffis took a select number of students to the Spooklight. While some claim to have seen it, others remained skeptical.

“We see a light,” said Jason Hare, junior Spanish major. “I’m like, ‘it’s a car.'”

Hare said a group of guys claimed to have “summoned” the spooklight with a series of flashing lights and car horns, but Hare said he was sure it was a car.

“I’m not saying there isn’t a spooklight,” Hare said. “There’s a possibility it exists ,and I would like to see it, but that wasn’t it.”

Zaffis’s current book Shadows of the Dark is currently on sale. He said he currently has several other books in production.

Zaffis and his staff operate the Paranormal and Demonology Research Society of New England.

Anyone interested in Zaffis may visit his website www.prsne.com.