History major finds home at Southern

Aaron Divine, senior histor major, researches materials for his classes on a microfilm machine at Spiva Library.

After high school, finding the right college isn’t always easy.

For senior history major Aaron Divine, it took three schools to finally find a home.

Divine finished high school at Neosho and decided to stay nearby and go to Crowder College. After two years, he decided to move to Fayetteville and attend the University of Arkansas. One year later, he decided to move back home to finish at Missouri Southern.

“Out of the three schools, Southern was the best for my major,” Divine said. “But I will miss the great atmosphere in Arkansas, mainly the chicks.”

Divine has been attending Southern for the past two and a half years and plans to graduate at the end of this semester.

“The history courses here are great, especially history research class,” he said.

Divine was given a range of choices to choose from in his research class and decided to choose author Hunter S. Thompson as the subject.

The project was 27 pages due at the end of the semester.

“It was definitely stressful, but satisfying all at the same time,” Divine said. “Thompson is my idol. His writing is brilliant and always seems to inspire me.”

There have been many teachers that Divine has had during his college career, but he said one seems to stand out in particularly.

“Dr. Wagner has been the biggest influence on me and has became a great friend,” Divine said. “I wish I could have had him for every class.”

After graduating from Southern, Divine said he plans to substitute teach for a while, then take a long road trip.

“I was thinking on heading up to Chicago, then to Tennessee, Florida and New Orleans,” Divine said.

Divine then plans on attending a graduate school. He hopes to find one during the road trip.

“It wasn’t always easy to find the right place for me,” he said. “But when it is all said and done, I am proud that I chose Missouri Southern and I am proud to graduate from here.”