Campus activities include outdoor fun

Spring is just around the corner, which means nice weather and potential fun in the sun.

That’s why Missouri Southern added Outdoors Adventures to its campus recreation program.

The Outdoors Adventures program is now in its second year.

Last year, the program included horseback riding and paintball. This year, the program has added an introduction to search and rescue program which brought participants from as far as Oregon.

Normally, the activities are exclusive to Southern faculty and students, but other certain events are open to anyone.

Other activities planned for this year include a wild game call seminar on Tuesday, a paintball trip on March 11 to Underground Paintball, a bison and wildflower hike on April 16 and an Elk River cleanup and canoe trip on April 30.

Some events come at no cost to the students. For instance, the game call seminar and the bison and wildflower hike are both free to participants.

Some events, however, do have a small fee.

“We’re not trying to make money,” said Darren Fullerton, campus recreation and wellness director. “We’re trying to break even on all of our activities and offer the events as cheap as we can to the students.”

Outdoors Adventure, like all of the campus recreation programs, are always looking for suggestions from students who know of a fun, safe and cost effective activity that might get more students involved.

“The majority of programs that we do have come from recommendations or requests from students, and that’s what we’re really here for,” Fullerton said.

For more information about the upcoming events, students may visit the Student Activities Office in the Billingsly Student Center Room 222, or the campus Recreation and Wellness office in the BSC Room 211.

All dates, locations and brief summaries of every event can be found in the Student Activities booklet for spring 2005.

If students have any questions or suggestions for current events or events that could be added to the Outdoors Adventures program, call outdoor coordinator Heather Hilton at 625-5427.