Four great years at Southern bring many wonderful life-long memories

Monique Jamerson - Public Forum Editor

Monique Jamerson – Public Forum Editor

It has been a long four years at Missouri Southern, but I have enjoyed every moment of it. May 14 marks the commencement for the class of 2005, and I am going to be a part of it. I am proud to say I have finished college in four years and have maintained what I would consider a good GPA with the exception of the silly, unneeded core classes. I think most of us can agree on that.

First, I would like to thank Dr. Jay Moorman and Dr. Caroline Yocum for their outstanding performance in the work field. Both of them have given so much time and effort to see their students and advisees accomplish any and every goal they desire.

Having Moorman and Yocum at Southern also allows students to see the true essence of what a great professor is and should be. Thanks for making my years at Southern worthwhile. For those who believe I wrote the above to “brown nose,” guess again.

Secondly, I would like to thank Rhonda Clark for encouraging me to hang in there and pursue my goal in journalism. Without her words and support, I would have given up on writing, thank you.

To The Chart, this is one of the best, if not the best, college newspapers in the state of Missouri. I am proud to be an editor of a paper that strives so hard to be the best at everything. When I began writing for The Chart, I did not realize how much I would learn and how the different experiences would only make me stronger. My level of confidence has sky-rocketed because of this. I will admit there are times I wish I had not joined, but I am glad I did. There have also been times when I wished I had quit, but I did not. My parents taught me better than that. I appreciate The Chart for what it is and what it stands for. To the HNIC of The Chart, you have done a great job with this paper, hang in there and if there is any of your light weight I need to handle, just let me know.

To Southern as a whole, this school is great and offers a variety of classes for anyone, but I will have to say that the diversity on campus is lacking. Southern may have a wide range of races, but what is it doing to acknowledge black history month? And why are we the only school that does not have MLK Day off? Is there a bigger picture?

I could not possibly leave out Randall Georges, my best friend, my fiancé and my world. Thank you for giving me something to look forward to in the future, for reading all of my stories and giving me advice on the next one. Thank you for making my years at Southern fun. I remember when we met in 2001. I never thought we would be together throughout our college years and look, we are on our way to getting married. I love you.

Remember the old saying, “Save the best for last?” Well that is what I’m doing. Last, but most importantly, I would like to thank my mother and father for that extra push they have always given me. If it were not for them I would not have made it this far.

They have always encouraged me to do whatever it is my little heart desired.

Thank you for loving me and giving me the support that many children never get to experience. I love you both.

Farewell to at Southern. This school has been great, minus a few of the unmentioned faculty.