Fiesta theme introduces new ideas

Homecoming is an event designed to bring former students back to their alma mater.

The 2005 Homecoming events have been scheduled, and they are themed according to the Mexico Semester.

“Too Hot to Handle Homecoming Fiesta 2005” will be the name of the week.

“We thought it would be fun to go along with our internationally-themed semesters,” said Tori Maloukis, director of student activities.

The week will kick off with voting for Homecoming king and queen from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Student Activities Office. The rest of the events will follow the theme of the week and also consist of the usual events such as organization displays and group photos. However, the picnic at 10:30 a.m. on Sept. 30 will feature a different variety of food.

“We have food to go with the theme,” Maloukis said. “We’re going to have nachos, tacos, beans and rice. We’ll also have hot-dogs for those who don’t want to go along with other food.”

Also, instead of a DeeJay, the picnic will feature a live mariachi band called Mariachi-Tulsa. The picnic will run until 1:30 p.m.

Lee Pound, director of the Alumni Association, is chairing the event.

She said the second annual scholarship drive will be held under the name, “Hot, Hot, Hot.”

The drive will consist of a penny-vote contest for the faculty member voters find the “hottest.” Everyone is welcome to vote in the contest.

“There’s no limit to the amount of money you can spend because it goes to a good cause,” Pound said.

The winner of the contest will wear a jalapeño necklace and shake maracas around the campus all day after the election on Sept. 30.

“We respectfully request them to attend the picnic,” Pound said.

The money raised will go toward the Alumni Scholarship.

The events will be geared both toward students and alumni.

“Our goal is always to have as many alumni and friends to come to campus,” Pound said.

“I’d really like the students to take part in any activity they can fit into their schedule,” Pound said. “It’s something you’ll really remember down the road.”