Volleyball drops pair during weekend

Freshman setter Sarah Joles puts one up for sophomore Ashley Wright to kill during the Sept. 17 game against Harding University.

Playing at home, the Missouri Southern volleyball team lost two non-conference games last weekend.

On Sept. 16, the Lions took on Arkansas Tech University, losing the match 3-1.

The Lions won the first game 30-23 but allowed themselves to play into ATU’s strengths for the rest of the night.

“I thought the first game we played extremely well,” said Chris Willis, head volleyball coach.

“We executed what we needed to do, but then we got away from what was working so well for us. “

Willis said ATU played a great match.

“We did not play up to our potential against Arkansas Tech,” he said.

In the match, Ashley Hill, freshman outside hitter, had 17 kills and 22.5 points.

Ashley Wright, sophomore middle hitter, and Sarah Hoffmeister, junior outside hitter, both earned 11 kills. Wright had 13 points, and Hoffmeister earned 12.

Junior middle hitter Ashley Mehrer earned 8 kills and 11.5 points.

Harding University traveled to Joplin on Sept. 17 and defeated Southern 3-0.

Willis said HU is a good team that does not make many mistakes.

“They don’t give you any points out there; you have to earn every single point,” he said.

“We had to earn about 80 percent of our points today, and that’s a pretty high percentage.”

Willis said he was pleased with the Lion’s level of effort and execution in the match. Though they lost in three-straight games, all three games were close, and their final scores were all two points apart.

“You’ve got to be happy to make it that close,” Willis said. “But you want the payoff of the win. Unfortunately we didn’t get it [against HU].”

Wright led the Lions in kills with 15 and points with 17. Mehrer earned 13 kills and 15.5 points.

Hill had 8 kills and 11.5 points, and Hoffmeister earned 6 kills and 10.5 points.

On Sept. 21, Southern traveled to Topeka to play the Washburn University Lady Blues. WU is ranked No. 11 in the nation.

“They’re a very good team,” Willis said. “We’re looking forward to it being a great challenge for us to go out there and knock off a top-25 team. That’s why I got into this conference is to be able to play these great teams.”

Hill said she thinks the team gets better every day.

“I think if we keep getting better every game like we have so far, we can come out and go to the tournament,” Hill said.

At the time of press, results of the WU game were not available.

The Lions’ record going into Topeka was 6-7, and 1-0 in the MIAA.

Southern next plays at 7 p.m. Friday at home against Emporia State University. Saturday, the Lions take on the Central Missouri State University Jennies at 1 p.m. at home.

Wednesday Missouri West-ern State University travels to Joplin to take on the Lions at 7 p.m.