Week focuses on alternatives

Eli Cunningham (left) from Skinny Improv; Jenilee Beers, senior marketing major; Carrie Cravens, senior nursing major and Mike Hauschild from the comedy group participate in an improv skit Sept. 14 in the Student Life Center Dining Hall. Skinny Improv was part of the Natural High Week activities.

Through student-involved activities, seminars and guest speakers the Student Support Center gave students a chance to learn and experience the negative effects of abusing sex, alcohol and drugs during Natural High Week 2005.

“What we try to do is give students information in a fun way,” said Holley Goodnight, coordinator of new student programs. “What we want students to understand is that, yes, we want them to have fun as a college student but we also want students to be responsible.”

The week was filled with activities starting with Magnificent Monday where Happy Hour was held.

Happy Hour was an event, which allowed students to gain knowledge of the effects of abusing alcohol through a carnival-like atmosphere where the Student Support Center set up a game of volleyball, croquet and “beer-goggle” ring toss.

“Mock-tails” were given out, and many information booths were set up on different issues such as losing a friend or a loved one to alcoholism.

Sept. 12 continued with guest speaker Bobby Petrocelli at “The Power of One Decision” demonstration.

Petrocelli told his story of losing his wife to a drunk driver through comedic stories, while at the same time sending the message, “I’m not here to preach to you all. I’m here to tell you is that there are consequences to abusing alcohol.”

Sept. 13 contained the “Alcohol and the Law Panel,” which consisted of a prosecuting attorney, highway patrolman and a Joplin police officer who discussed how the law has changed pertaining to students in certain situations.

CardioChaos followed as it gave students the chance to have a good time through exercise such as aerobics and an open swim.

Sept. 14 was the “Lunch and Learn” where students learned about making the right choices for their careers and their future.

Club Night followed when the Skinny Improv comedy troop came in from Springfield and karaoke followed.

“We’ve gotten really good feedback from the activities we’ve had over the week,” Goodnight said. “At the Bobby Petrocelli demonstration, we had about 900 people who gave [Petrocelli] a standing ovation. Anytime you have college kids, both guys and girls, buying books from the speaker, you know it’s probably very good.”

Katie Miller, freshman biology/pre-med major, thinks Natural High Week is good to raise awareness about alcohol and other substance abuse.

“The information they give helps [students] understand the dangers of abusing substances or sex,” she said. “Like Petrocelli said at ‘The Power of One Decision,’ your life can change in a matter of seconds, but its up to you to decide if that change is for the better or worse.”

Julie Blackford, counselor for the Student Support Center, said the goal of the week is for student to make good choices concerning drugs and alcohol.

“It really was a collaborative effort by the Student Support Center,” Blackford said. “We’re not out to stop students from experiencing college life, but we’re trying to let students know not to abuse substances, to think about what they do, and that what they do can affect the rest of their lives.”