Festival promotes culture

Japanese exchange students Ayu Emoto, and Eri Abe represent their country while meeting community members during Festival of Friends 2005 on Sept. 24 in Carthage.

Making unknown cultures known was on the agenda Sept. 24 for many students throughout the four-state area.

The Festival of Friends 2005 was held at the Central Park in Carthage.

“The ultimate goal of the festival is to promote the various cultures that live in the four-state area,” said Bill Trudeau, director of the international English program.

Trudeau said the festival achieved its goal of educating the public about foreign cultures through various activities.

The students presented relics, set up booths depicting the lifestyles of many countries, listened to the many songs of the cultures represented, watched the different dances and had natives of different areas there to speak on behalf of individual countries. These activities helped answer the questions the public brought to the students.

One student was pleased with the way things went.

“There was a good turnout,” said Amber Huser, senior international studies major. “We had maybe 400 to 500 people there. There were students that were there that were required to go around, learn something new and get their passports signed by the presenter of that certain country. Also, an African dancing group from Springfield called Khufara performed, and an Irish band performed as well.”

“The MSSU marimba band went to the festival,” Trudeau said. “Several companies such as U.S. Bank and State Farm were also there to show their support for the event.”

Eight international students from MSSU attended the festival to involve themselves with the activities and inform the public about their homelands.

“The eight international students that got involved talked to students for over three hours, explaining their daily lives and their country,” Huser said. “The four countries that were represented were Japan, China, Sweden and Chile. Some of our students that went met other people from the same countries. They thought it was pretty cool to actually to get to talk to another person from their country.”

The number of native areas represented did not end with the students. Others from Guatemala, Mexico and Ireland were there.

“In all, maybe a dozen cultures were represented at the festival,” Trudeau said. “I think this a was a very successful Festival of Friends.”