Ghost hunter speaks about experiences

Ghost hunter speaks about experiences

Ghost hunter speaks about experiences

So me people will avoid even the thought of ghosts, but one person seeks them out.

John Zaffis, paranormal researcher, came to Missouri Southern at 7 p.m. Oct. 11.

More than 120 people turned out to hear him speak about his experiences with haunted houses and possessed people.

Carmon Snedeker, who has been haunted, also came with Zaffis to tell her story, which students viewed in the documentary movie, A Haunting in Connecticut.

“I don’t have any expectations,” Snedeker said before the presentation. “I just tell the story. I don’t care if they believe me and I don’t care if they boo me.”

Snedeker’s presentation followed Zaffis’, but both were tied together because Zaffis helped Snedeker when she said her family was under attack from an unknown entity. The story was told out in the documentary.

“Most of the documentary is true,” she said. “However, certain things happened at certain times. A lot was left out and a lot was included.”

She said she wanted the students to know the real story behind the movie.

“It paled in comparison to the truth,” Snedeker said.

Zaffis came last year with a speech on possessed items, but this year, he wanted to explain his career and how to deal with hauntings.

“It’s a little different than what I usually go into,” he said. “It’s how I evolved into the researcher I am today.”

He said people should know about ghost hunting before they try it.

“Be very careful when you’re experiencing these,” he said.

He proceeded to tell the audience which places are often haunted, including prisons, hospitals and castles.

“Are all castles haunted,” he said. “Heck, yeah. I haven’t been in one that wasn’t.”

He told the audience if someone tries to hunt ghosts or photograph them, there are several things to look for.

Zaffis said development marks, stains and camera cords can all be mistaken for paranormal activity in a photograph.

He also told students to watch what they do at haunted places.

“Please don’t pick up and bring with you any items or souvenirs from haunted places,” he said.

“If you choose to get involved with paranormal activity or go to haunted locations, you will have activity around you.”

Zaffis then introduced Snedeker and her story.

“It is one of the most stressful situations I’ve ever been in,” Zaffis said.

Snedeker told her story about the house and the experience her family had.

But, much of her presentation was about the consequences of becoming involved in such activities.

“If you don’t have a clue about what is happening,” she said. “Don’t do it.”

She warned students about dealing with spirits and ghosts.

“I don’t want anyone who hears my presentation to go out and play with spirits,” she said.

The presentations ended with students asking questions ranging from ghost hunting tips and hints to questions about the accuracy of the movie.

Zaffis said students wanting to hunt ghosts should note the best evidence comes from natural recording and not from attempting to drive ghosts out.

Emily England, 29, came from Columbia to hear the presentations.

“I came to find answers,” she said.

“I want to hear the real story.’

England said there were many discrepancies between the movie and the book on which the movie is based.

Students seemed to like the speakers.

“It was a really good presentation,” said Stephen Kidd, freshman accounting major. “It gave me a better understanding about the reality of spirits.”

He said he learned much from the speeches.

“I really didn’t know what to expect, but I’d definitely do it again,” he said.

Others agreed the spiritual information was needed.

“I thought it was really interesting,” said Katie Leider, sophomore psychology major.

“It went along with what I originally thought about spiritual matters. I’m a spiritual person too, so a lot of it I had heard about or had experienced.”

Zaffis said he appreciated the audience’s input.

“Some of the questions were fascinating,” he said. “It shows people are a lot more knowledgeable about things that occur. It was a very good turnout.”