Soccer teams begins to close seasons

Neil Stoessel, sophomore midfielder/forward, dribbles past a defender in the Oct. 14 game.

Both the women’s and men’s soccer teams were in action last week.

The women headed to Maryville Oct. 15 and lost to Northwest Missouri State University, 1-0.

Trevor Wachsman, head women’s soccer coach, said the women play well but did not have the intensity or sense of urgency to beat NWMSU.

“For a good portion of that match we played better soccer than they did,” Wachsman said. “They were able to capitalize on really their one chance.”

He said one goal came after a short scrum in front of the net.

“Going in, we knew they’d be a good team,” Wachsman said. “We knew they’d be excited; they hadn’t played at home in a long time.”

Kaney Tyler, grabbed five saves during the match, bringing her total this season to 73.

Nikki Llewellyn, freshman midfielder, led the team in shots with five, and she placed two on goal.

Lindsay Robinson, sophomore defender/midfielder, and Angela Westphal, sophomore midfielder, had two shots each and all four shot were on goal.

The Lions now stand at 8-4-2 overall and 4-2-2 in the MIAA, but fell from the national top-25 this week.

They have six conference games matches left and Wachsman said all of them will be tough matches.

“All those teams see us at the top, and they’re going to come out and play against us with a lot of intensity,” he said. “But we’re trying to focus on ourselves and not our opponents in these remaining games and doing the things that we need to do to be successful regardless of who’s across the field from us.”

The men’s soccer team played two home games last weekend.

St. Mary’s University came to Southern Oct. 14. The Lions defeated the Rattlers 3-2 in overtime.

STMU led the game 2-0 going into halftime, but Southern came back with two goals in the second half to take the game into overtime.

Evan Keeling, sophomore forward, scored the first goal for the Lions in the 51st minute, unassisted. J.P. West, senior forward, scored the tying goal in the 79th minute of play off a penalty kick.

In overtime, Keeling scored the unassisted game-winner in the 98th minute.

“[We] gave a lot of energy, and a lot of effort,” said Kiley Cirillo, head men’s soccer coach.

He said the game was Southern’s first multiple goal-scoring game.

In the match, West led the team in shots with six, placing four on frame. Keeling earned three shots, placing all on goal and netting the two.

Oct. 16, The University of the Incarnate Word traveled to Joplin and beat the Lions, 7-1.

“They outplayed us; they beat us,” he said. “There’s nothing more to it.”

West scored Southern’s lone goal in the 74th minute, unassisted.

Cirillo said the team goal or the remainder of the season is to win six of the last seven games.

“I think that’s something we’re very capable of achieving,” he said.

The men’s record now stands at 4-10 overall and 2-7 in the Southwest Soccer Conference.

Friday, the women play Emporia State University at 5 p.m. at Hal Bodon Field. They will be followed by the men, who will play Eastern New Mexico University at 7 p.m.

Sunday, both teams are again in home action as the women take on Truman State University at 1 p.m., and the men will play West Texas A&M University at 3 p.m.

Wachsman said the fan support this year has been awesome.

“They’ve been loud; they’ve been very encouraging of us,” he said. “Hopefully we’ll see a lot of them out there this weekend, and with the guys playing right after us, it will be an exciting weekend.”