One-point loss brings football season to close

Adam Hinspeter, freshman quarterback, is sacked by two ESU players. Hinspeter started as quarterback for most of the season.

By just one point, the Missouri Southern Lions lost the last football game of the season, 21-22 against Emporia State University.

The team ended the 2005 season with a 3-7 overall record and a 2-6 record in the MIAA.

During the game, junior running back Dartangan Johnson rushed 13 times gaining 51 yards. Freshman running back Ronnell Newman rushed 10 times for 50 yards.

Senior wide receiver Dustin Bromley caught seven receptions for 156 yards. Sophomore wide receiver Colin Bado, completed four receptions for 38 yards. Senior wide receiver Tedaryl Mason caught two passes for 76 yards.

Johnson also caught five receptions for 50 yards.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Hornets took a second-half lead of 10-7.

The Lions outscored the Hornets by 7-0 in the third, taking the lead 14-7. However, they were unable to hang on to it and were outscored by ESU in the fourth quarter 12-7 leading the Lions to a loss.

During the game, sophomore defensive end B.J. Russow, made 11 tackles and senior linebacker Matt Crane made nine tackles.

Senior safety Blake Martin, junior cornerback Moses Manga and senior linebacker Atiba Bradley each made seven tackles a piece.

On Oct. 20, Sallie Beard, athletics director, announced there will be a national search for a new head coach. This was done after head coach John Ware unexpectedly died Sept. 27.

By virtue of his title of assistant head coach, Keeth Matheny took over for the rest of the season. Matheny is welcome to apply for the head coaching position if he chooses.