Whining, laziness unacceptable for any college student

Auriel Brown - Managing Editor

Auriel Brown – Managing Editor

Well, here I am, three months left and finally trying to sum up everything I’ve learned in this institute called higher education.

Observing the behavior of my peers, not listening to class lectures is where I have become the most intrigued.

One thing I notice and truly do not understand is the level of whining I hear from adults on this campus.

Sometimes I wonder is this a college or a day care?

“I’m frustrated.” “I’m tired.” “I’m having a bad week.” “I hate this class.” “I didn’t do what I was suppose to because such and such came up.”

Complaint here, excuse there.

More and more I find myself hearing my fellow students erupt into emotional breakdowns or throwing temper tantrums over nothing.

Something I could never understand is how such a group of people can always be so high strung, unhappy or better yet-lazy.

The most entertaining complaints I hear usually come in the form of exhaustion or boredom.

It is definitely a sign of the times when people complain about getting educated and are free to do as they please, yet can’t find a thing to do.

To me, this makes no sense.

We gripe when in reality we should rejoice over the opportunity to do what we are passionate about.

So if you are one of these people here are a few humble tips to hopefully inspire you, or better yet, shut you up.

1) Try getting a job. The mall is constantly hiring, and I’m sorry, but no one is above flipping a burger or two.

2) Look into getting involved with your major department. Usually when one intends on specializing in a certain field, it may be to your advantage to actually get some practice first.

3) Study. Unless you have perfect grades, (and some of you really don’t) there is no reason for you to be bored.

4) Practice time management. For some of you, this means getting the hell off Facebook and Myspace and taking care of business.

Wasting valuable time sending notes and staring at photos of people you probably see everyday is why you find yourself cramming for tests 20 minutes before class starts.

5) This is probably the best option if you don’t care for any of the above. If you really have to gripe and moan, keep it to yourself. Seriously, nobody likes a negative person, and eventually people will start to tune you out, or even worse, avoid you.

The point I’m trying to make is we are college students.

These should be some of the best years of our lives, and no moment should be wasted complaining about what’s not right.

Trust me, there are people in this world who, for whatever reason, do not have the same opportunities we have and are dealing with worse circumstances than ourselves.

Now I’m not claiming to be Ms. Sane- and-Happy-24/7 myself.

I, too, on many occasions have had to step back and humble myself when getting upset about trivial things. But, in the end, it’s not worth the time, energy or headache.

I believe it is important to take a step back and actually breathe sometimes.

College life is entirely too short to be frustrated, lazy or bored. It’s the graduating and actually having to be a “real” adult part that we should all be worried about.