Expos help students job search, graduaion

Deputy Sheriff Whisenhunt, left, Johnson County Sheriffs Office, helps Jennifer McBroom, junior criminal justice major, during the Job Expo March 8.

Kristen Wilfing

Deputy Sheriff Whisenhunt, left, Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, helps Jennifer McBroom, junior criminal justice major, during the Job Expo March 8.

Opportunities were available to students March 8 when the Grad Expo joined with the annual Job Expo.

The Grad Expo ran from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 4 to 6 p.m. in the third floor of the Billingsly Student Center.

“The reasoning behind it is to get all the offices the graduating students need and bringing it all to one spot,” said Liz Scheurich, bookstore coordinator.

She said the Grad Expo had a good turnout because of coordinating it with the Job Expo.

“It provides less stress for the students,” she said.

The Grad Expo brought the business office, financial aid, alumni office and two vendors together.

“The purpose here is to help the students know their rights and responsibilities regarding their loans,” said Kay Hobart, loan default prevention counselor. “The students can either schedule the exit interviews with me in person or do it online.”

She said she will speak with any student regarding his or her loans, but would prefer to talk to the graduating students because they only have a couple of months left.

She said the Grad Expo helped bring the students together in one place.

“It helps make the students more aware of what they need to do,” Hobart said.

The students were able to pick up their cap and gown for graduation as well.

“I think it worked out really well,” said Jordan Hamilton, senior computer forensics major. “You don’t have to make a special trip somewhere because the two events are together.”

Hamilton said he found out about the events through an e-mail a few days before the events occurred.

“I had no idea I’d get my cap and gown this early,” he said.

The Grad Expo was designed for quick access for all booths involved.

“I just walked in and I was out in less than 10 minutes,” he said.

Valeri Caldwell, sales associate with Jostens, said the Grad Expo allows students more than just convenience.

“When they come here, they can get a major discount,” she said.

The discounts are on class rings and announcements.

Caldwell said the Grad Expo is a good idea for all institutions.

“This is the one time they recognize their achievements,” she said. “This is a good way for the bookstore to recognize the seniors.”

Another vendor agreed.

Donnie Tabares, sales representative with CB Announcements, said the Grad Expo is one of the best he has seen in a few years.

“I wish more schools would do it,” he said. “It provides students with a first-hand knowledge of what’s available.”

He said the Grad Expo was busy and many students took the opportunity to come through.

Steve Lanyon, senior nursing major, said the Grad Expo seemed busy to him.

“It’s a good idea,” he said. “At least for nursing students, anything you can do to cut down on time is especially appreciated.”

“Everybody takes part in it,” Scheurich said. “And, it couldn’t be done without everybody.

She said if students missed the Grad Expo, it is not a problem. The students will need to go to the separate offices to finalize their plans for graduation.

“It’s just a lot more stress on them,” Scheurich said.