Southern News Briefs

Coalition against child abuse sponsors series of events to raise awareness

As part of its “Spring into Action” campaign, the Student Coalition Against Child Abuse is sponsoring a series of events starting at 1 p.m. April 22 in Cunningham Park.

The events are open to everyone.

These events include a “Fun in the Park” experience with free food, games and children’s activities.

On April 28, the Coalition will be sponsoring a “Take a Night Off” on the Oval.

Members and staff associated with the organization will provide visitors with information about the organization and what it is doing for the community.

Micosoft RV rolls way onto compus to demonstrate new technologies

The Microsoft Across America Technology RV will be at Southern from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on April 26 as part of the “Making it Happen” program.

The RV contains several Microsoft offerings for businesses including Sharepoint, Exchange Server, Small Business Server 2003 and OneNote.

The event will take place in Matthews Hall and will provide information about leading manufacturers and will also include demonstrations of several technological benefits.

Manufacturers represented will include RSA, 3Com, Fortis, HP and others.

There will be four seminars.

The seminars start at 9 a.m., 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.

The Southern Small Business Development Center and Heartland Technology Solutions will be hosting the events.

The events are free and open to students, faculty and staff. Online registration is available at www.heartlandtechnologies.com.

Language performance award renewals being for recipients

Foreign language performance award recipients must renew their award with their language advisors in order to receive the award in the fall.

The renewals began April 7.

There are also no automatic renewals, and all renewals must be completed by May 5.

Also, all award recipients must participate in Foreign Language Field Day on Tuesday.

For more information, see Kathy Liu in the Foreign Language office.

DARS, pre-registration schedules available at registrar’s office

Pre-registration schedules are out. Students may pick up their DARS at the registrar’s office.

Students should schedule an appointment with their advisors before they enroll.

On Friday, students with disabilities (must be pre-approved by the coordinator of disability services), Honors, junior varsity athletes, senior varsity athletes, junior and senior athletic trainers and approved participants of Project STAY may enroll.

On Monday, students with 90 or more hours may enroll.

On Thursday, students with 60-89 hours may enroll.

On April 24, students with 30-59 hours may enroll.

On April 26, transfer students may enroll.

On April 27, freshmen may enroll as well as post graduates.

May 1 is the beginning of open enrollment.

Library hours extended in experiment to allow for more time during finals

The hours for the Spiva Library will be extended to midnight for students to use the facilities from April 30 to May 4 and again from May 7 to May 11.

The times are experimental and the faculty members will be taking a survey to see how many students use the library during those hours.

If students want to extend the hours, then they should use the library during these days.

They may also contact Wendy McGrane at [email protected].

Conversation department hosts informational discussion about trees

The Missouri Department of Conservation wants the public to have the knowledge available to make the best decisions when planting and maintaining trees.

MDC will be providing a workshop titled Tree Selection and Planting with information on several tree-related topics. The topics will include appropriate areas, decision making, picking the best tree and how to plant a tree properly.

The workshop is free and open to the public.

The workshop will be held at 6:30 p.m. April 24 at the Jasper County Central Annex at the corner of Central St. and Lincoln St. in Carthage.

For more information, call the MDC office at 629-3423.

Earth Day activities include music, games, prizes with student debates

Earth Day activities have been scheduled for next week.

The activities are free and open to the public.

Several local companies and organizations will be represented with booths and information stations from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday.

Games and music will also be provided. Free gifts and prizes can be expected.

Speakers and lectures will run from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday.

A student debate on the environment will be held on the oval from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Speakers and presentations will also run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday on the oval.

More information will be posted on campus billboards. The International Student Ecolonomics Association is sponsoring the events. For more information or questions, contact the ISEA at [email protected].

The Environmental Health Club is also collecting household hazardous wastes from 10 a.m. to

2 p.m. in Lot 18 south of Fred Hughes Stadium.

The club will collect home maintenance products (except paint), lawn and garden products, certain automotive products, household cleaners, personal use products and miscellaneous items.