Drug testing for student-athletes keeps use to minimum

One of the recent occurrences on campus is the drug testing of Missouri Southern’s student-athletes. Being selected as a testee can be quite the hassle, but all student-athletes know it comes with the territory.

“The only real problem that I see with it is that I think the whole student body that’s on any kind of scholarship should have random drug tests as well,” said Luke McCarty, sophomore undecided major who is a student athlete. “Does our campus not care for the safety of all the other students?”

Adam Hinspeter, sophomore physical education major, holds another common point of view from an athlete’s perspective. He said he really does not care about what other people are doing.

“I don’t do drugs, and I haven’t been selected yet so I don’t have a problem with the drug testing,” Hinspeter said.

The NCAA tests for a plethora of drugs including marijuana, heroin, cocaine, androstenedione and high levels of testosterone. All of which are potentially dangerous to their user.

“Basically they just test for street drugs and performance enhancing agents,” said Darren Moore, head athletic trainer. “They test so nobody has an unfair advantage in their sport and to protect athletes from themselves.”

Moore said he thinks the testing “absolutely” effective and worthwhile.

One student-athlete who was recently subject to a random drug test said student-athletes are no more likely to use drugs than traditional students.

“Honestly, I don’t think there’s any higher percentage of athletes using drugs then traditional students,” said Jacob Plocher, sophomore undecided major and soccer player. “In fact, I would go so far as to say more students are using drugs then student-athletes.”