Career day offers opportunities, information

Mike Cervin (left), CFI Director Billing and Credit, talks to Cindy Scott, junior accounting major; Stephen Kahffman, junior business major; and Chris Runion, senior accounting major, about career opportunities at Career Development Day Oct. 4 in the Billingsly Student Center. Sixty-four business representatives and 16 tables were represented.

Career Development Day provides career information and opportunities for the futures of Missouri Southern students.

The event is set up with rows of 64 business representatives; the first 16 tables are sponsors of Career Development Day and Southern supporters. This year approximately 1,000 students attended the event.

“Career Development Day is for all students of all majors, and the goal is for career information,” said Lynsey Schwabrow, career services coordinator.

While the event is a job fair, with tables of free spoils luring in students, the focus is not only for students currently looking for jobs, and it’s also for employers who have jobs available. The main purposes of Career Development Day are to give employers in the area a chance to make their names known on Southern’s campus, offer internships and summer jobs, and allow students to practice professionalism.

“This is a combination of a lot of our efforts in teaching students about résumés and interviewing,” Schwabrow said. “This is a time to showcase their skills on campus.”

Speaking to potential future employers is not the only the issue to address for students nearing graduation. Appearance is a significant factor. Underclassmen who arrive in jeans and a T-shirt can observe job seekers in the way they dress and interact with the business representatives. Some attending employers have supported this event for several years.

“This is our fourth year,” said Bill Miller, district manager for Walgreens. “We have a lot of flexibility within our company so that interns can get their foot in the door and move up into management when they’re ready.”

In the side rooms of the third floor, there are breakout sessions every hour for more in-depth information in certain fields. The speakers also give advice and inform students of available careers with certain degrees.

“Students don’t even have to go in and ask questions,” Schwabrow said. “They can just go in and sit and get career information, and listen to the questions that the seniors have for employers.”

Employers can register online for this event, and the Joplin Chamber of Commerce is invited to contribute. The applications are open to any employer interested in Southern students and alumni.

“There’s a little bit for everybody,” Schwabrow said. “Some businesses don’t have job openings right now, they’re just wanting to show students they exist here in the area, and give out company information.”

Isaac Barringer, a recruitment specialist for St. John’s Regional Medical Center, currently a senior business management major at Southern, enjoys his job.

“It’s kind of neat being here,” he said. “Several people above me at work are Southern graduates, too.”

Most of the Webb City police officers with four-year degrees all graduated from Southern as well.

“The last position we filled last year was Wes Coatney,” said Jeremiah Woolverton, a 1997 Southern graduate and Webb City police officer.

Southern’s faculty members are involved with Career Development Day. Some professors cancel classes and hand out fliers so students can come to the event.

“We do look forward to career development day,” Schwabrow said. “Being able to speak to employers in a confident way and not saying too much or too little, is an important skill. Practice makes perfect.”

Tactics used to draw students’ attention to tables are items such as key chains with built-in tape measurers, stress balls, pens and Frisbees. The Zimmer Radio Group recruiting table had a 1950s model radio to demonstrate how far radio has come, and the Springfield Police Department table had a laptop computer playing their commercial.

Another part of the event is the Networking Reception held the night before Career Development Day. All of the invited employers are welcome to attend the more “intimate and social” setting with the students.

Marlene Chism, a motivational speaker from Springfield, speaks for the first part of the event. The last hour is for socializing.

“It’s a different type of event, but it’s still related,” Schwabrow said. “You can never have enough practice. It’s a nice introduction for those employers who really want to see a lot of Southern students, and for the students who are job seekers.”

Schwabrow said students don’t realize they can start the job search early. They think it’s too early. But the Career Development Day offers another opportunity for Southern students, and they can take what they can from it.