CAB stokes campus enthusiasm

With two Campus Activities Board officers unavailable, Whitney Hornaday, the public relations representative, led the Oct. 11 meeting. With just two days until Homecoming and another significant event planned, CAB anticipates good results.

“I’m looking forward to everything, I’m really excited about Homecoming this year,” Hornaday said. “There’s a lot of students and school spirit.”

Tori Christiansen, director of student activities, hopes the upcoming Homecoming events carry over enthusiasm from Welcome Week. She is already impressed with the organization’s float.

“These guys have a vision and they’ve been working their rears off on it, so I think it’s going to turn out great,” Christiansen said. “We’ve had a lot of participation with the float this year. Last year it was flung together at the last moment with just four of us Saturday morning.”

She commends CAB members for their dedication to the event and said she was excited for the potential of the young group; even though attendance was down at the last meeting.

“I think that’s because there’s so much going on, everyone’s busy with their other organizations trying to get their floats done and that’s understandable,” she said. “I expect numbers will be back up for the next meeting.”

Once again, Christiansen emphasizes the importance of the student body’s involvement.

“Come out and support the organizations that have worked hard to put this together, the parade should be great,” she said. “It’s going to be a fun week, but it’s only fun if you’re there.”

As soon as Homecoming is over, CAB’s next significant event is the appearance of Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson from “Ghost Hunters,” the television show “Taps,” at 7 p.m. Oct. 18 in Webster Hall auditorium.

Melanie Epperson, secretary of student activities, has been trying to contact the “Ghost Hunters” for Missouri Southern for a year, and finally found success.

“I jumped on the opportunity,” Epperson said. “It’s a popular topic on campus.”

The presentation will consist of a two-hour lecture with technical demonstrations and sharing of mysterious experiences. Seating will be first-come, first-served, so Christiansen encouraged students to arrive early.

“It should be really good,” Epperson said. “They’ve done a lot of things in the area.”