CAB plans spring comedy night

On Oct. 25, the Campus Activities Board put potential future events into their sights.

“I was thoroughly impressed with the meeting,” said Tori Christiansen, director of student activities. “We had a lot of ideas.”

One particular plan will kick off a whole series of potential events. CAB Comedy Night will be held 7 p.m. Feb. 1 in Taylor Auditorium. Comedy nights will continue for every first Thursday of the month.

The first comedy night will consist of the Second City Tourney Company, which is an improb group based out of Chicago. This organization has set up people like Tina Fey and this organization is also where Chris Farley began. Christiansen said she was enthusiastic about this one because two of her family members recently experienced a performance during a trip in Chicago.

“They said [the comedy group] were hilarious,” she said. “So I’m really excited about bringing these guys to campus.”

Significant business occurred after the meeting as well. For the first time this semester, all of the CAB officers were able to meet, including the new secretary.

“I really enjoyed having the officers meeting,” Christiansen said. “They were able to reflect on the meeting and make decisions.”

The officers brainstormed on three potential comedians coming to Missouri Southern’s campus. A popular idea among the officers was offering an opportunity for someone local or a student to audition to introduce each of the comedians during the comedy show.

“I think that’s something they’re really excited about,” Christiansen said. “That was just an idea everyone liked, and we’ll get that information out as soon as we make a decision on that.”

As well as brainstorming for new ideas, CAB decided to continue the Hollywood Movie Night to keep consistency throughout the semester. The next anticipated movie night will be Nov. 9.

“In the last one we had in September, we had over 300 people pick up tickets, so it’s pretty successful,” Christiansen said.

As for upcoming events this semester, CAB decided last year’s Christmas event, adopting a family through the Laffyate House, was a success, and will continue again this year. CAB also looked at the Spring Fling Picnic, and decided to offer laser-cut portraits in crystal key chains.

The organization is considering an American Gladiator theme for the events before spring break. Ideas, which still need to run by the Special Events Services, were Sumo Suits, Game Shows, Skydiving stimulators, Drive-in movies, Debate, Float a Flick and Step show comp.

For more information on upcoming events students may call the CAB hotline at 625-4477 or view the online calendar found on the university Web site.