Campus News Briefs

University announces Lankford as speaker for commencement

Dr. Ronald L. Lankford, superintendent of the Webb City R-7 school district, will be the speaker at the 47th commencement at 10 a.m. Dec. 16 in the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center.

Lankford is considered one of the most highly respected superintendents in the state and has overseen dramatic growth in enrollment and in building expansion in Webb City schools during his tenure as superintendent. A 1971 graduate of Missouri Southern, Lankford was named Outstanding Alumnus in 1981. He earned his master’s, education specialist and doctorate degrees from the University of Missouri-Columbia.

Lankford was also named Business Leader of the Year in 1999 by the Webb City Chamber of Commerce, and in 2003, he was selected by the Missouri Association of School Administrators as the recipient of the annual Robert L. Pearce Award.

Senior exhibit displays artwork at Spiva Art Gallery until Friday

Four seniors are having a senior exhibit Dec. 3 through today at the Spiva Art Gallery.

Participants include Jodie Patterson, graphic art major; Rachel Barley, art education major; Jeanette Lage, art education major; and Melissa Karsten, studio and graphic art major. For questions or additional information, please contact Karsten at [email protected] or call (620) 762-1359.

Law enforcement academy enrollment deadline Dec. 15

The deadline to enroll in the next session of the 600-hour state certified basic law enforcement academy is Dec. 15.

The academy will meet from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday beginning Jan. 8. The academy requires four Saturday classes per semester. Graduation will be held May 9, 2007.

For more information, please contact Tim Wilson at 625-9516 or e-mail at [email protected].

Five students sign contracts for internship at state capitol

Legislative interns signed service contracts Dec. 5 in Webster Hall.

Interns heading to the state capitol are Donavon Mays, sophomore political science major; Skyler Ross, junior political science major; Jonathan Russell, junior political science major; Sean Grove, junior international business major; and Adam Hancock, junior political science and English major.

Interns are given a wide variety of tasks, depending on the needs of the office. They may be involved in activities such as researching legislative ideas, leading tours of the Capitol and tracking bills while the House of Representatives or the Senate is in session.

For more information about legislative interns, please call Dr. Tom Simpson at 625-3112.