‘Noises Off’ opens ’07 theatre slate

Noises Off opened Jan. 24 and will run through Jan. 27. (Top left) Gavin Gardner, sophomore music major, Brandi Hoofnagle, sophomore theatre major, and Michael Runion, junior theatre major. (Bottom left) Kyle Maloney, freshman theatre major, Shannon Martinous, senior music major and Sarah Jones, junior speech/theatre education major.

Two plays and a night of one acts are scheduled for the remaining 2006-2007 season for Southern Theatre.

Directed by Ben Horine, senior theatre major, Noises Off is a play within a play that is not for general audience due to some partial disrobing. A play that starts as a risky bedroom farce and ends as a comedy, this play shows the chaos on and off stage. Noises Off started Jan. 24th and will be running through Jan. 27th in Taylor Auditorium.

Those involved in the production said preparing for Noises Off meant putting in extra hours.

“I think they took three days off for Christmas and I want to say two days off for New Year’s but otherwise they have been here the entire [time], like three hours a day each day over the break,” said Lyle Burrow, assistant technical director of the theatre department.

The Jolly Roger: King of the Seas directed by Pam Claussen will be showing Feb. 24-25 in Taylor Auditorium. The children’s play will have a pirate ship on stage with sword-fighting pirates aboard.

Southern directing students are hosting An Evening of One Acts, with plays and casts they chose.

Matthew Davidson, junior theatre major, said when choosing a play, they must consider their audience, the characters, the cast and the emotional response to the piece. An Evening of One Acts will be in the Bud Walton Theatre April 17-21 with two or three shows a night, running two nights each.

“I wanted to find a show that showcased women in a major way and would give several women an opportunity to have fun and unique roles,” said Jade Leggott, junior theatre major.

Both Davidson and Leggott agree that in order to direct a play it must be one the director is passionate about.

Burrow said the one acts are generally for mature audiences only and may include explicit language and action.

The adult series curtain times are 7:30 p.m. The children’s play starts at 2:30 p.m. General admission is $3 Senior citizens’ and high school students’ tickets are $1. Children’s play admission is $1 for adults and 50 cents for children 12 and younger.