Senate to meet with Agee, vote on smoking resolution next week

One issue continues to smolder for the Missouri Southern Student Senate.

Originally proposed during the fall semester, the group plans to revisit a resolution regarding campus rules on smoking near building entrances.

Later this week, the Senate will meet with Dr. Terri Agee, vice president of business affairs, to discuss the smoking ban further.

“We hope to get a resolution this week,” said John Carr, Student Senate president. “This issue has been one of our top priorities this year. Some rules in the student handbook, like standing 50 feet away from public buildings, are not being followed. We need to revise some of the smoking rules.”

In other business, the Senate passed three appropriations this week.

The Finance/Investment Club requested aid for its March 28 trip to a management convention in Ohio. Kappa Alpha requested aid, as did the Radiology Club.

It is mandatory for all seniors in the Radiology Cub to attend the national conference. This year, the conference will be held April 8-21.

Three new appropriations were also introduced this week. Koinonia Christian Campus Ministry requested funds for its March 9-17 trip to Saltillo, Mexico to work with families in an international environment.

The trip is open to all Southern students.

Each student will be expected to raise $240 plus the $25 Mexico entrance fee.

Pi Kappa Delta put in a request to attend a national debate tournament, which they have not be able to attend for the past two years due to a lack of funding.

Adam Clark also put in a request for aid in attending the Missouri State Special Olympics.

These two appropriations will be addressed at the next Senate meeting.