Southern hosts 2006 MSIPC winner

For the first time in the competition’s history, Tatiana Tessman, winner of the 2006 Missouri Southern International Piano Competition, will again be visiting Missouri Southern’s campus.

Tessman will perform an all-Russian “From Russia with Love,” program, solo and with the Southern Symphony at 8 p.m. April 3 in Taylor Auditorium. Pieces include “Les Saisons,” by Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky, and “Piano Concerto No. 2” by Sergei Rachmaninov.

Musicians from the surrounding areas of Pittsburg and Springfield will also join the Southern Symphony.

“There are a number of musicians in the area that don’t have the opportunity to play with a pianist of this expertise,” said Gwen Hunt, marketing coordinator for the MSIPC.

Tessman’s performance schedule includes stops at Joplin High School, Thomas Jefferson, St. Peter’s High School, College Heights Chapel and Webster Hall Auditorium. She will perform and share differences in culture with students. Tessman will also perform for the Rotary Cub Luncheon and music appreciation and theory classes.

In addition to Tessman’s performance schedule, she also will be present at a patron’s reception for donors to the MSIPC, prior to Tuesday’s concert.

With the 20-year anniversary for the MSIPC approaching, the first week in residency for a winner marks this major occasion.

“I can’t help but think it’s going to have an impact with a soloist and an orchestra playing together,” said Elizabeth Kemm, MSIPC volunteer.

Tickets are $20 for general admission and $10 for seniors at Upstairs Boutique, Southern Ticket Office, MSIPC Office and Hometown Bank in Carthage and Neosho.

“I hope they [the public] look forward to it again,” Kemm said.