Students present information on software, plan first European trip, set personal goals

A presentation of software systems will be demonstrated at 12 p.m. April 10 in the Cornell Auditorium in Plaster Hall.

Ryan Goodwyn, junior computer forensics major, Jo Obeto, sophomore computer science major, and Hartford Tunnell, associate professor of computer information sciences, will present to foreign language directors, businesses and students.

Goodwyn, who has never spoken Chinese, will demonstrate the effectiveness of software by speaking in Chinese and Spanish. Hartford says the students will have a challenge. If the software is adequate, Goodwyn’s presentation will be a success.

“I’m sure I’ll be fine,” he said. “Picking up the Spanish won’t be too hard.”

Obeto said he’s not nervous about the presentation at all.

“It’s going to be fun,” he said. “I’ve done this before, so I just go in there and do it.”

The Institute of International Studies, CIS department and business department are sending 20 students to Germany, France and Switzerland on May 22. Goodwyn said the grant money has already been issued to students, but some students have cold feet.

“People have been dropping out left and right,” he said. “But it’d be cheaper to go than to pay off a loan, because you have to pay the grant money back if you don’t use it.”

The students will learn the computer programs and business methods overseas. Goodwyn said he’s anxious to go.

“It feels more like a tour than a study abroad trip,” he said.

Obeto said he has high expectations of the trip. He said he was excited to encounter other CIS students overseas.

“This will help in my own academic policies,” he said.

Hartford said this is the first study abroad trip for the CIS department and the students involved are ready.

“Everybody’s looking forward to this,” he said. “It’s been a long ole’ road to get there.”

The goal of the presentation is to attract students from CSI and business, as well as language professors and area teachers.