Students take trip to Capitol

Annetta St. Clairs state government class gathers in Sen. Gary Nodlers (R-Joplin) office before making the trip back to Joplin. The class spent two days in Jefferson City viewing state government in action.

Annetta St. Clair’s state government class gathers in Sen. Gary Nodler’s (R-Joplin) office before making the trip back to Joplin. The class spent two days in Jefferson City viewing state government in action.

Southern students spent two days at the Capitol watching how the processes they have learned in class over the last semester are used.

Annetta St. Clair, professor of political science, took 11 students from her state government class to Jefferson City to complete one of the requirements for her class.

She said the trip is actually part of the syllabus for both her state government class and legislative process class that she teaches in rotation each spring.

She requires her students to watch both chambers in session, visit the Truman building and the Supreme court building, attend a committee meeting and go to the House lounge to see the Thomas Hart Benton murals. She asks that if they have time to visit the Governor’s Mansion and the secretary of state’s office.

“There are lots of things that you teach in the classroom that don’t make sense until they come up here,” St. Clair said. “It’s worth the effort to bring them up so they see what really goes on.”

Ryan Bennett, senior political science major, said he didn’t realize how much senators and representatives actually work. Before, he thought they just hung out in their offices all day.

But it wasn’t all business. The students were also treated to a surprise dinner compliments of Rep. Ron Richard (R-Joplin) and Empire District Electric.

Two students, Luke Clark, senior secondary education history major and Michael Loveless, senior secondary education history major, were even introduced by Sen. Gary Nodler (R-Joplin) on the floor of the Senate during session. Then they and a couple of others, including Steve Lewis, senior paralegal major, were allowed to sit on the floor of the Senate and watch the session first hand.

“It was just interesting listening to the arguments about what was presented in both chambers,” Lewis said.

St. Clair said she has been taking students to Jefferson City for years and will continue to do so in the future because of how important it is to her classes to see the legislative process in action.