Southern benefactor, friend passes on

George S. Beimdiek

George S. Beimdiek

After what was characterized as a life of generosity, George S. Beimdiek died in McCune-Brooks Hospital at the age of 94.

A lifetime resident of the area, Beimdiek’s contributions to the community were well-acknowledged. After its completion, the new campus recreation center will bear his name in recognition of his $1 million contribution to the $16 million project.

“Mr. Beimdiek helped a lot of people around the community.,” said Curt Betebenner, director, Missouri Southern Foundation. “[the Beimdieks] have always been interested in education.”

An additional $475,000 has been pledged from other sources.

His gift to the recreation center is not the only contribution the Beimdieks are known for.

“George established a scholarship for students graduating from Carthage high school,” Betebenner said.

George Beimdiek founded the scholarship Sept. 7, 1993 in memory of his first wife, Geraldine Beimdiek, who died in March of 1992.

“He was philanthropic, active and very generous,” Betebenner said.

He remarried Amelia Cordonnier in 1993; she preceded him in death April 5, 2007.

After graduating from Carthage High School in 1931, Beimdiek attended the University of Missouri where he earned a B.S. in business administration. He had a successful career in the military and went on to be an active community, business and church leader.

In addition to Beimdieks contribution to Southern, his daughter Carolyn Phelps and her husband Pat have both served as Southern Regents.

“That family has a long history of supporting Southern,” Betebenner said.

Beimdiek is survived by his daughter and son G. Stephen Beimdiek, one sister, five grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.

Groundbreaking for the George S. Beimdiek Recreation Center is scheduled to begin this spring.