Fisher takes Senate gavel, Reed accepts Jefferson City internship

Senators are there to listen, he said. Wed just like to call out students and let them say what changes should be made.

“Senators are there to listen,” he said. “We’d just like to call out students and let them say what changes should be made.”

Missouri Southern has a new president and so does the Student Senate.

Tim Fisher, senior history major, ended last semester as vice president. Now, he has moved up the ranks. Former President David Reed, senior political science major, accepted an internship for the semester in Jefferson City. This isn’t the only presidential switch the Senate has seen lately. Last November, Reed succeeded Hector Amaya as Senate president.

“Not a whole lot has changed,” Fisher said.

However, the new Senate leader does have “a few things on the table,” such as the need to fill eight empty spots.

“We always struggle fillings numbers,” Fisher said. “For the last two years we’ve never had a full Senate.”

To fix this problem, Fisher is considering reducing the number of senators. He hopes that if more qualified people are needed instead, then more students will be motivated to join.

Fisher led the semester’s first meeting Jan. 23. Matt Day, senior political science major, was elected as the Senate’s new vice president. Senators also voted to allocate $1,000 to the Kappa Sigma fraternity and discussed resolutions that were tabled last semester.

Resolution three, which addresses having no classes on Martin Luther King Day, was passed.

Fisher also stresses the need for more communication between students and senators.

He encouraged senators to find out what students want to be changed, even if those wants are expressed in something as casual as hallway chatter.

“Let the students’ voices be heard through you,” Fisher said to his fellow senators.

Senator Carolyn White, senior biology major, believes the Senate will see a good semester with Fisher as its new president.

“I think we’re in for a good ride,” she said.