Writing Program Committee honors 3 students for work

Nursing students Kathy Carmicheal, Alfred Maina and Kim Smith received the Writing Excellence Award March 11. The students wrote and researched topics on ethics, gastrointestinal disorders and dementia as a part of a writing intensive class. Each student recieved a $200 check for their work.

Courtesy Photo

The Writing Excellence Award, presented by the Writing Program Committee, awarded checks to Kathy Carmicheal, Alfred Maina and Kim Smith.

The Writing Excellence Award, awarded once every semester, was presented March 11 in Room 204 of Kuhn Hall. The award is worth $200.

The Writing Program Committee is made up of Dr. Lynell Gilbert, Dr. Mari Linder, Dr. Nanette Philibert, Keith Robertson and lastly, George Greenly, writing program director.

“The idea behind this program is to promote writing intensive courses,” said Greenly.

Other responsibilities held by the Writing Program Committee include oversight of the writing program as a whole, decisions about whether or not new writing intensive courses should be allowed in Southern’s curriculum, and dealing with any issues which come up within writing programs.

According to the rules of the Writing Program Committee, up to five students can be recognized each semester. This year, three were awarded.

“We felt Carmicheal, Maina and Smith’s works were above and beyond the other submissions,” Greenlee said.

The contest is based around University instructors’ class assignments. To enter the contest, a teacher sends in a paper to be evaluated. The teacher must send a letter of recommendation, describing the good traits of the student’s paper, with the student’s work. For the paper to qualify, they must also send in the directions for the writing assignment, the final draft of the paper and a teacher rubric of the grading scale. The final quality the papers must possess is that they are from upper-level writing courses to qualify.