People put pride in all the wrong places

I have seen pride in all sorts of things. Pride in winning a race or doing well on a test. I have even seen pride in skin color and sexual orientation.

Some may consider pride to be a sin, a terrible thing that drives humanity to suppress others.

Certainly pride can do that. However, pride can drive humanity to push them to excel and take ownership of something.

Sadly, pride for two worthwhile things appears to be waning.

If you have chosen to attend a certain college or university, then, like it or not, you are now a part of that institution.

Why not take pride in your campus?

I’m not simply talking about showing up to the sporting events, but that’s a start.

I am speaking on the general appearance of the campus and how you conduct yourself while here. Additionally, if you should leave this campus wearing a university shirt, try to carry yourself well.

Another worthwhile pursuit of pride is in the pride for one’s country. Obviously with this being an international school, there are students from all over the world. Many of these students hold a deep pride for their native country and are not afraid to express it.

Why then, if we are citizens of the Untied States of America, should we not take pride in our country as well? I will be the first to admit our country has issues and not everything here is sunshine and lollipops, but is it anywhere?

Maybe it’s just old age setting in, but it seems to me that I hear more bad mouthing of places and things people choose to be affiliated with than I see people trying to improve them.

To borrow a line from the movie Kingdom of Heaven, “What man is a man who does not make the world better?” This question should not only be asked of the world, but of all things a person is a part of, regardless of size.