Health center offers chance for students to get well for cheap

The Wilcoxon Health Center, located in Billingsly Student Center, is the place to go if you’re feeling a little under the weather this flu season.

Th primary focus is geared towards caring for students on Missouri Southern’s campus and that’s just what they do.

The $30 fee at the beginning of the semester covers basic medical needs.

A minimal fee would be assessed for services such as testing, labs, breathing treatments and immunizations.

For most students, having a health center on campus is comforting.

“I think it’s a pretty good idea to be able to have a health center that’s close for all the students to go for and usually cheaper,” Travis Domamski, freshman business management major said.

Others feel it’s unnecessary.

“[I’m] not a fan. Went there multiple times for serious stomach pains and they tried to diagnose me. Which everything they said wasn’t what I had, it was way more serious. They never referred me to a hospital and I had to end up going on my own,” Michaela Sieler, senior education major said.

There is a referral program established between Freeman Urgent Care and Emergency Room with Southern for instances like Sieler’s.

The program allows the center to refer a student if the problem is beyond their capability and defers the cost of the visit at that time to the health center.

The student is then reliable for any services that would extend beyond that initial visit, such as tests, x-rays, et cetera.

“I like it because I don’t have health insurance, so whenever I can’t really pay for it I just go here and they can refer me, which they pay for the emergency room or urgent care,” Jami Cole, junior elementary education major said.

“I just had surgery [due] to my appendix and they referred me to the ER three times and the hospital misdiagnosed me three times. So I’ve really taken advantage of them referring me,” Cole said.

At this time, third party insurance providers are not accepted, however discussions on changing that policy are in the works.

With Julie Stamps, the health center director, being the only nurse practitioner available, it’s the nursing program that runs to the rescue. Two nursing students share a part-time position with a work-study student holding a 20-hour per week position.

“Whether here or in my private practice I always liked to have students involved. If we don’t help them learn how to be good nurses, who’s going to teach them how to do that?” Stamps said. Other nursing students are scheduled for various dates or specific events as well.

“[They’re] getting practical experience helping out in our student health center and getting paid for it,” Pamela Hosp, office manager said.

The clinic is available for any students in need of medical attention or information.

Medical history does need to be on file for students using the facility and can find the paperwork needed at the health center.

Flu shots are now available by appointment or during the clinic on September 24 and 25 from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. for $15 for faculty and staff.