Leaving a legacy

The Tanzanian Lion was donated by Tom Wells, Sr. The lion currently resides on the third floor of the Spiva Library. Wells took the lion while on safari in 2008.

Joshua Boley, The Chart

As students walk about this campus, they pass by moments of history locked in stone, brick and metal. As Missouri Southern has grown, so along with it has the number of donations, monuments and memorials found on campus.

Many of these relics are in open view and seen daily; some, however, are tucked behind walls or require taking a scenic path. The reason or meaning for some of these items has faded from recent memory. As students and faculty have moved on, so also the stories and significance attributed to these pieces has disappeared.

As the University’s growth continues, so does the number of monuments. According to Vice President of Development/Director of the Foundation JoAnn Graffam, anyone looking to create a memorial would be routed to the Foundation.

“Most of the monuments on campus now are thanks to donors,” Graffam said, addding that the Foundation is always trying to match donor interest with campus needs.

“We are always happy and willing to work with anyone who is interested in doing something and thankful for people who made some of these things possible,” she said.    

Photos on the side show of some of these monuments. This is not meant to be a full list; these are simply a few of the stories behind sights we take for granted every day. Perhaps when time allows, wander the campus and find them for yourself.