Cheetos ‘epidemic’ doesn’t fall on Editor’s list of education priorities

Apparently the biggest problem in education right now isn’t academics or funding … it’s Cheetos.

Wait, what? Yeah, that’s right.

Have you heard about the Flamin’ Hot Cheetos Epidemic? Schools around the country are banning these tasty snacks by removing them from campus vending machines, thus denying students the right to vend freely. Newspapers are calling it an epidemic.

That’s cute and all, but I wouldn’t call it an epidemic. I’d call it an explosive non-issue—considering the immensity of education issues that should be being discussed that hold much higher precedence over hot Cheetos.

The argument proposed is that the snack is a “health hazard” because it contains 26 grams of fat and a quarter of the amount of salt that is recommended for the entire day. But, half a cup of trail mix, 2 ounces of cheese, half a cup of avocado or 40 almonds each have the same amount of fat in them as Cheetos. Maybe these schools should consider taking these foods off of the cafeteria menu too.

It’s also been argued that the snack is considered “hyper-palatable,” meaning that it is highly addictive. Dear so-called experts, they aren’t laced with cocaine. Kids keep eating them because they taste good, not because they are developing a mental habit that’s going to kill all their brain cells.

Flamin’ Hot Cheetos have been around since the 90s. Why is this snack suddenly under fire?

Students love these fiery Cheetos so much that there is even a video on YouTube of a group of kids rapping about their love for hot Cheetos.

“Got my fingers stained red and I cannot get ‘em off me / You can catch me and my crew eating hot Cheetos,” the boys rap repeatedly in the video.

School officials apparently don’t share the love, so they retaliate by banning.

If the goal is for students to eat healthier and not make poor eating decisions, promote good eating habits rather than banning the “bad food,” because kids or students are just going to eat it anyway when they aren’t in the classroom. Kids are going to make their own decisions whether school officials like it or not. Rather than telling kids what they can and can’t eat, encourage them to eat right.

Wait, why is this even an issue? Just let them eat the damn Cheetos.