Dreaming of a wet campus

Kurt Montgomery, Staff Writer

Kurt Montgomery, Staff Writer

Missouri Southern was founded in 1937, and 31 years later it became a 4-year college. Over the years, Southern has changed quite a bit.

But one thing remains the same.

It’s a dry campus.

A dry campus, as opposed to a wet campus, does not permit alcohol even to students who are of legal age. It’s kind of odd that a school that prides itself on non-traditional students is a dry campus.

Non-traditional students are, exactly that. Traditional students come to college following their senior year of high school while “non-trads” attend college later on in life. This means that your typical freshman is between the ages of 17 and 18.

At Southern however, your typical freshman can be between the ages of 17 and 70. Chad Carroll, a sophomore Communications major, had this to say: “I don’t mind all the non-trads.

“I just wish this school had more of a ‘college’ experience. This is a great place to just work, go to class, and leave it at that. If it was a wet campus who knows what it would be like?”

Recently, Southern has allowed students and tailgaters to drink during home football games as long as the beverage is in a red cup. Either that or the campus police finally decided to turn a generous blind eye.

The school is also trying to approve the sale of beer at Fred G. Hughes stadium. In the fall of 2009, rumor had it that an offer was presented to the university in regards to the matter.

The terms were that if the school became a wet campus and allowed the sale of beer at the stadium, the university would receive a brand new football stadium.

The offer was presented by Anheuser Busch and it was denied.

Rumors of he said she said aside; A brand new stadium?

You would be ridiculous not to accept that offer. That’s what we like to call a win-win, ladies and gentlemen.

The University receives a new stadium, and Anheuser scores off the beer sales. Not to mention all the new revenue, a.k.a. new students, the school would receive in the long run.

I mean I can’t be the only student that would love to see our Lions battle on a completely new stage with beer in hand.

A source affiliated with the University who preferred not to be named had this to say, “This college is a state-funded university. The legal drinking age in Missouri is 21. The state recognizes that most incoming students are under the age of 21 and would cut funding if the college were to become a ‘wet’ campus.” I guess the school forgot to mention our pride for non-trads.

Letting the students and fans tailgate properly is a start.

These next few years could hold the beginning of something great for Missouri Southern as it ever so slowly approaches the end of what we know as a dry campus.