Seventh annual Dress to Impress makes changes

Missouri Southern’s Career Service staff wants to help students who may be in need of business attire that can be used for an interview or job. Due to COVID, this year the event will be hosted a little differently to help keep everyone in attendance safe. The purpose of the event will remain the same – if you are a student who wants to get some free business attire – you are welcomed. 

Going into our seventh year of Dress to Impress, our preparations went a little differently than in years past. Our planning began last fall when we came up with our Plan B – how we would run the event in a COVID world. This included changing the event set up, so that things were socially distanced, as well as limiting the number of students who could shop each hour by making appointments. We knew based on past attendance this is one of our largest events, and it isn’t something we could translate online,” said Shakira Rhoads, assistant director of Career Services. 

Students can expect a slightly different version of Dress to Impress than last year. Students will need to sign up for an appointment ahead of time choosing one of three days available. They will be welcomed into the Billingsly Ballroom at their designated time and be able to shop masked up in a socially distanced environment. While in previous years dressing rooms had been made available, due to changes they will not be open this year 

Students will still be able to pick out several outfits, including accessories and shoes. Campus volunteers will be on-hand to assist with checkout and answer any questions as they arise. We have still gathered clothing from generous community members to give away at this event, and despite the new accommodations, we expect to achieve the same goal—to give away quality professional clothing to students at no cost. This fulfills our mission of helping students prepare for and succeed in the job market, said Rhoads.  

If you just want some inspiration or need professional clothes for an upcoming interview sign up for one of the days available as slots are filling up.