Spring break on South Padre Island

Sascha Sebastian Rühl/The Chart

South Padre Island, TX, Crowds of students enjoy the free and open for everybody beach party daily. Pitt State came with a huge delagation.

There is no smoke without fire. At first one, then two and later dozens of empty beer cans rolled down the beach on South Padre Island, pushed by the warm wind, that came directly from Mexico.

A few thousand students celebrated Spring Break in Texas, a special experience for me, because in Germany there are no Spring Break Parties. To avoid a “minor in possession”, the spring breakers build a kind of pack, because in a large group they felt safe, observed and surrounded by police on ATV´s, who swarmed the large group like hungry wolves. I nearly lost two ID´s on the beach and a friend in Mexico, because of USA´s ID-mania. In my country we´re allowed to drink at sixteen. We start mostly at thirteen.

There were thousands of drunken people on the beach, maybe a quarter of them under age, and me, the German who searches for a real beer that could have an effect on him.

“Show your tits and you get a beer”, offers a student from Indiana, the lady from Texas slips off immediately.

Padre Island: A two week exception to America’s strict alcohol laws and it´s prudery. Naked skin, drinks for minors and all of that under the open clear Texas sky on public territory under the cops eyes.

The new nickname of my underage Korean friend is “xXx” – one X for each club we visited with him, where he got marked for being 19.  Off beach, the alcohol-freedom ended for minors.

In the nights, people met up in Padre Island’s great clubs. I mean, they got daily bikini contests, paint parties, pool parties and tons of free gifts of several “beer” brands like Miller. And the ladies gave you a kiss, just to get a just caught free giveaway from you. Not that bad at all, or not? “The whole night” says my soul, I party hard, drink a bit (a shot for 8 bucks?) and get thrown out at 2 am.

Are you kidding me, USA? Your clubs close 2 hours after midnight? In Europe it´s 8 or 9 am and it´s spring break!

Outside, the Christian mission waits for drunken breakers. Free pancakes and rides home, really, for free. But you have to deal with the engaged Christians who want to talk about their beliefs with you. In Germany I would be concerned, only cults try to get your attention like that there.

After a short van ride with some Jesus-conversations, the breakers continue the party in the Island´s overpriced hotels and calm down for the next party.

While Spring Break, the party on Padre Island never stops. Worth it to ride 2400 miles for me. 

* * *

Perspectives from Abroad is an ongoing column by Sascha Sebastian Rühl, exploring Missouri Southern and American life through the eyes of an international student.