The Student News Site of Missouri Southern State University

The Chart

The Chart

The Chart

Cracking Down on Dorm Rules: What Students Need to Know

Can you recall when these three emails were sent out to the students? They sparked quite a frenzy among the resident students.

All three emails bring attention to ongoing dorm rules that Residence Life will be cracking down on. 

One is a reminder for students who use food delivery services. Residence Life encourages students to meet their delivery driver outside of the dorm building or to leave driver instructions on how to leave the order in the lobby with the on-duty RA.

The second email states the stricter enforcement of parking regulations. Resident students are only allowed to park in designated resident parking located only on the dorm side of campus. If you are a resident student found parked in a commuter, reserved or faculty/staff parking spot, then your vehicle is subject to being fined or being towed. 

The last email implies the administration of the no cohabitation rule. This prohibits overnight stays of any kind in the residence hall. This includes but is not limited to friends, family, significant others, or other residents. Violations will result in a fee. 

Resident Director, Abby Brower, was able to clear up some common misconceptions about the rules. 

For the cohabitation email, it all started with a bunch of questions like “can my boyfriend stay? Can my friend come stay?” The short answer is no. After hearing that answer students questioned “is this new or is this different?” 

Again, the short answer is no. According to the Student Handbook, these rules have always been implemented.

“The reason it is in place is for safety mainly,” Brower said. “It’s not to control people…I trust that people are going to bring people they trust into their lives but we have no way of regulating who’s going to be on this side of campus overnight.”

So far the rule has decreased sexual and domestic violence which is what Residence Life is aiming for. 

If a co-habilitation problem does arise, you will be given multiple opportunities to fix the issue; however, if it continues, residents will face a conduct charge. 

Brower explained, “we want the campus to be safe,” and these are the precautions the university believes will help keep it that way.