The Student News Site of Missouri Southern State University

The Chart

The Chart

The Chart

Missouri Southern’s Homecoming Week ’23 Comes To An End

As the sun set on Saturday, October 7, Missouri Southern’s Homecoming Week came to a thrilling and memorable close. This annual celebration of school spirit, camaraderie, and Lion pride was nothing short of extraordinary. From a lively parade through Downtown Joplin to an action-packed football game and the crowning of the Homecoming King and Queen, Saturday was filled with unforgettable moments.

Captured from Missouri Southern’s Homecoming Parade. (Curtis Almeter)

The excitement kicked off with the annual Missouri Southern Homecoming Parade held on Main Street in Downtown Joplin. The streets were filled with superhero-themed floats, showcasing the creative spirit of MSSU’s students and their organizations, clubs, and sports teams; and, of course, no parade would be complete without the presence of the Homecoming royalties, who waved and smiled to the crowd.

Later that day, the MSSU Lions squared off against the Fort Hays State Tigers. The atmosphere in the stadium was electric, with students, alumni, and community members coming together to support their beloved Lions. You can read more about the game and the heart-pounding action, here.

One of the most highly anticipated events was the coronation ceremony for the 2023 Homecoming King and Queen. Kailan Lundien of Zeta Tau Alpha was crowned Queen, and Elijah Brown representing the Campus Activities Board, was crowned the title of King.

This moment was celebrated with cheers and applause, as the deserving duo were granted their royal titles. Lundien & Brown’s dedication and involvement in the campus community had clearly earned them the admiration and support of their peers.

Homecoming Week ‘23 at Missouri Southern was a week filled with laughter and cheers, that will evolve into lasting memories. From the parade that painted Main Street with green and gold to the football game that had fans roaring with excitement, this annual celebration showcased the strength of the Lion pride.