Destination: international classroom

Students travel abroad for additional experience

Courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons

Last year, MSSU took students across the globe to experience beauty beyond the borders of this country during the spring of 2022, including England, Czech, Italy and Europe, just to name a few. 

According to Dr. Chad Stebbins, Director of the Institute of International Studies, traveling is beneficial for students. 

“Students can gain a whole host of experiences from studying abroad. They become more independent, they learn how to figure things out on their own, such as using public transportation, cultural differences, and developing greater confidence,” Dr. Stebbins said. 

Jared Carper, a student who traveled last spring, noticed the great attributes of visiting one of these places.

“I studied abroad in Sao Paulo, Brazil. It was rich in culture, and it was beautiful to see the integration and appreciation of so many other different cultures,” Carper said.

Students discover that despite their cultural differences, people around the world have much in common,

— Dr. Chad Stebbins

While traveling on exotic trips, the world they used to know back home isn’t that different they’d be calling home during the semester.

“Students discover that despite their cultural differences, people around the world have much in common. They value family, friendships, good conversation, taking care of the environment, and becoming global citizens,” Dr. Stebbins said.  

Though it may be no different from the place they call home in the states, places like Brazil that Carper has visited have some familiar non-formalities has some none. While here it may be normal to show off jewelry brands or have our devices out, in Brazil, it’s quite different.

“In America, we flaunt our valuables and our jewelry everywhere we go. In Brazil, nobody will be wearing anything shiny or have their phone when they commute. They will only wear jewelry or be on their phones inside safe buildings or where there is security,” Carper said. 

To be able to join these future trips, students will also have to keep a steady GPA and be considered a full-time student.  If accepted, they will gain a grant that can give them a boost on their destination. Students who have a 2.5 GPA and full-time status can receive a $1,000 study abroad grant to go on the faculty-led, short-term trips. Those who are going abroad for an entire semester can receive a $1,250 study abroad grant toward the cost of their flight.