Kaldi’s Coffee serves in Spiva

coffee shop pastries

Photo by Victoria Gaytan

coffee shop pastries

For many college students, a trip to the coffee shop is a daily necessity.

In the Kaldi’s location on the bottom floor of the Spiva Library on campus, barista Brittany Campbell has become a familiar face to those who run on caffeinated drinks.

A life-long Joplin resident, Campbell graduated from Joplin High School in 2009. The mother of 4-year-old twins Kai and Savana, Campbell is expecting a daughter in July.

Before working at Kaldi’s, she was employed for approximately a year at the Starbucks in Freeman Hospital. There she worked nights, hours which kept her from spending time with her children. So a year ago, she joined Kaldi’s.

The move allows her to work during the day so she can spend time with her twins. It also provided a different workplace environment.

“[At Starbucks], we worked for eight hours and it was very populated there versus here, where I just get the students,” Campbell said. “Being in the hospital, you never knew if it was going to be an employee or a visitor. [Here] it’s more calm and laid back.”

At Starbucks, many times the customers were in a rush and not as open to conversations. She said her customers at Kaldi’s are friendly. She’s even built relationships with some.

Campbell said she often strikes up conversations with the students. Most talk about their activities for the day or the classes they’re taking. Some vent about their days. Those who know she has children ask how the kids are doing.

One of her favorite things as a barista is just making coffee during her 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. shift.

“I’ve loved coffee for as long as I can remember,” Campbell said. “I like making coffee and suggesting good coffee for people.”

More about Campbell

Her life outside of work primarily revolves around her children. As a mother, she runs errands and after picking her kids up from daycare, they spend time together.

When it’s cold, they’ll stay inside, but during warmer weather, they spend time outside.

“I grew up camping almost every weekend, if not every other weekend,” she said, adding she tries to share her love of camping with her children.