A closer look at Sigma Tau Delta

Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society is an organization with chapters at university campuses all over the world.

Missouri Southern’s chapter is Lambda Xi and has been active since 1978. There are approximately 60 members in Sothern’s chapter.

Sarah Robbins, junior English major and secretary for Sigma Tau Delta, said the goal of Sigma Tau Delta is to promote “excellence in English, build a strong community within the English department, and promote literacy throughout the rest of campus and community at large.”

To be an official member of Sigma Tau Delta International English Society, a person must have taken two English courses other than English 101 and 102. A student must also be at least sophomore and have a 3.0 GPA.  Sigma Tau Delta meets once a month in Kuhn Hall.

“Anyone is welcome to come to our meetings and events, the more the merrier,” Robbins said. “There are quite a few people who attend without membership just for the community aspect, and we love that.”

The organization’s members does a lot through the semester. For example, they just finished their week long annual book sale, which was designed to help raise money for members of the organization to attend the Sigma Tau Delta Convention in St. Louis.

Robbins said the organization has been one of the best experiences she has had at Southern.

“Sometimes it’s hard to get to know your classmates outside of class, and Sigma Tau Delta has given me opportunities to make new friends and get to know my classmates on a deeper level,” Robbins said. “We often say that the organization’s goal is to promote excellence in English, and I feel like we all perform with a little more excellence when we have a community that makes us feel supported.”

Robbins said she wants students to know if they love to read, write, or just to find a place to connect with people on campus, they are welcome to attend club meetings and events.