Get creative with your resume, design a portfolio

As the end of the semester nears, many students are compiling content for their portfolios. 

With so many projects assigned, students are continuously creating new content much of which can go into the portfolios. 

While resumes are good and important, they only list credentials and the skills that a student believes potential employers will find valuable. 

A portfolio, however, is an amalgamation of work a student has completed, typically specific to the field they hope to pursue.

Digital portfolios are like a resume, but better, because potential employers can see the quality of the work for themselves. 

It’s an interactive way for employers to see what a student can really do. 

A portfolio allows a student to showcase real-life experience, in order to show potential employers of their value. 

In putting a portfolio together, students are not only compiling their work, but showing their capabilities. 

A portfolio also shows that a student can be organized and categorize content when needed.

When assembling a portfolio in a website, students should create tabs for specific classes or types of content. 

Students can also display any additional interests or talents they may have. 

A well-built portfolio shows a level of professionalism. It might seem like just a website, but it features a student’s skill as well as their content. 

It’s also a great way to get feedback from teachers and peers, who can then offer advice that could improve the quality of the portfolio. 

A portfolio can also show a student’s progress from the beginning to the end of their collegiate career. It can also help identify strong points and help a student work on weaknesses.   

Portfolios are an investment in time. Something that can be well worth it, especially when created with care.