Tailgate parties with alcohol now allowed on campus

Missouri Southern students 21 and over can now kick off home games with alcohol while tailgating.

This new tailgating policy officially went into effect in August.

According to Ryan Orcutt, Director of Student Engagement, the new policy was created to increase student engagement on campus.

“This policy is intended to increase vibrancy and engagement,” Orcutt said. “The object of the Vibrancy Team that assisted in developing this policy was to not only enhance engagement but to create a safe and responsible environment to do so.”

While there is a limited number of parking lots, the assigned tailgate lots are first come-first serve and will be monitored by the university’s police department. 

Spectators who want to tailgate must be in parking lots 17-18, 46-47, and lots adjacent to the Pat Lipira Softball Complex and Warren Turner Field. 

The permitted areas that were approved by MSSU President, Dr. Dean Van Galen, include the North End Zone Facility and the alumni pavilion. These designated parking lots have regulations for certain times. 

The specific parking lots where tailgating with alcohol is allowed will be open four hours before the game begins and will close one hour after the game has concluded. 

With Homecoming approaching, Orcutt stresses that it’s vital to remember to drink responsibly, be safe and follow the regulations.

“Please be vigilant in abiding by the policy and regulations and be responsible with consumption,” Orcutt said.

The Lions will be facing Lincoln University for Homecoming on Saturday, Oct. 8 with kickoff at 2:00 PM.