Campus works to prevent meth use

Security officers, like Craig Richardson, patrol the residence halls to look out for meth production. Security and Deb Gipson, coordinator for student housing, say it currently is not a problem but is always a threat.

Despite the fact that Southwest Missouri is referred to as “the meth capital of the world,” Missouri Southern does not have a documented case of methamphetamine abuse on campus.

“Statistics would tell us we have a problem, but hard evidence shows us we don’t,” said Deb Gipson, coordinator of student housing and the Student Life Center. “At least not with making the drug.”

This does not mean the drug doesn’t have a presence among the students.

“I have no doubt, just like any other drug, that we have people who have used it,” Gipson said. “Have we had a problem with it on the campus? No, we have not.”

The physical symptoms that accompany meth addiction would make an addict easy to identify. Addicts develop meth sores on their faces, and the drug causes their teeth to rot.

Meth producers begin to take on the essence of the chemicals, causing their sweat to smell like cat urine.

Ken Kennedy, manager of safety and security, saw many cases involving the production and use of meth during his tenure with the Joplin Police Department. He agrees with Gipson that the meth epidemic plaguing the community has not infected the College.

“I’m not naive enough to think that no one on campus has ever used meth, but an addict would be easy to spot,” Kennedy said.

Just because meth is not a problem on campus, it doesn’t mean the College refuses to take a relaxed stance on drug control. Gipson said every year members of the community’s drug task force are brought in to train her staff to recognize chemicals, instruments and symptoms associated with all types of drug abuse.

Gipson’s staff monitors on-campus housing and tries to go through all of the rooms at least once every other week.

“The staff is trained to look for combinations of things, like hot plates and red phosphorous,” Gipson said.

She said her office has had suspicions of individuals using the drug and has even had students tell her they have tried it, but staffers have never found any meth or evidence that students are producing the drug on campus.

The community’s meth problem has resulted in a problem for College students and faculty. Kennedy and his office believe the recent burglaries on campus are the result of meth producers and addicts who were looking for some quick cash to support their drug habit.

Gipson agrees, citing the fact that altogether a small amount of property was taken.

“It wasn’t burglary for burglary’s sake,” she said.

The explosive nature of the chemicals used in the production of meth is an even greater concern for Gipson’s office than simply the negative effects of the drug to a student’s body.

“It’s a double-edged sword. It’s not just the fact that meth is bad for you, the danger of the volatile chemicals used are an extreme fire hazard, and in this type of a closed environment (residence halls) it would really be a mess,” Gipson said.

The College has a no tolerance policy concerning drug abuse. If students are found to be in possession of or manufacturing meth, they are expelled.

“Traditionally, our record with drug offenses has been pretty strict and that includes marijuana, cocaine and acid,” Gipson said. “We deal with drug issues at a standpoint of not just interschool discipline, but we take legal measures as well.

“Go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.”

Kennedy said his office does not have the authority to arrest an individual, but it secures the scene and contacts JPD.

Gipson and Kennedy both said of all the drugs they have encountered, meth is a nasty one.

“It’s such a volatile drug, all drugs are volatile to a point, but you’re literally injecting Drano, furniture stripper and red phosphorous into your system,” Gipson said. “Why anyone wants to put that crap into their bodies, I don’t know, but if you can burn a lantern on it, you probably shouldn’t be eating it.”

Kennedy thinks the reason meth is not a problem on campus is because college is probably the last place an addict would want to be.

“We have the brightest and best coming out of Southern – we’re definitely not what you’d call a party school,” he said. “An addict probably wouldn’t even be going to college because your whole motivation changes. Instead of looking to your future, you’re looking to the next five minutes of gratification.”